Every summer, Rocklands gets the privilege — and fun! — of being the Chef At Market for one or two of FreshFarm’s farmers’ markets. On Sunday, John was at the Dupont market, greeting many of you, saying hi to farmer pals…and serving an awesome fresh corn salad.
As with many of the side dishes we make at Rocklands, this one celebrates the season — fresh corn, zukes and squash, with red onion, carrots and red pepper in there to add some color (and beta carotene). We only make our corn salad in the summertime.
So pick your day this week, go to one of the FreshFarm markets and buy corn from a farmer (or if you were lucky enough to sign up, you can pick it up in your CSA share from Farmer Byron!). Then make this:
Rocklands Summer Corn Salad
- 7 ears fresh corn, shucked, boiled and shocked with cold water to stop the cooking, then kernels cut off
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1-1/3 cups julienned zucchini
- 1-1/3 cups julienned yellow squash
- 1 cup diced carrots, blanched and shocked
- 2/3 cup diced red pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Put corn kernels, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, red pepper and cilantro in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, vegetable oil, salt and pepper; pour vinaigrette over veggies. Toss and serve, or refrigerate.